Initially we started feedings using the traditional method of pouring the food into the syringe as seen in instructional videos on YouTube and as explained after a feeding tube or button is inserted. We found this method quite messy and cumbersome. Over time and after a variety of attempts, we developed the featured adapter. I will explain the process we follow, but yours may vary slightly.
- Fill the syringe with water
- Attach the syringe to the tubing, prime, and clamp
- Fill the Playtex VentAire bottle with the food liquid
- Secure the adapter to the top of the bottle with the cap
- Attach the tubing to the inserted/implanted feeding tube
- Replace the syringe (used to prime with water) with the bottle
- Unclamp the tubing
- If you need to increase the flow rate slightly loosen the bottom cap
- Administer the prescribed amount of food
- If necessary, more food can be added to the bottle by removing, adding additional food, and replacing the bottom cap.
- Re-tighten the bottom cap
- Replace the bottle with the syringe to flush
- Wash the bottle and device with soap and water
- Flush the tubing with clean water
Questions? Click the “ask me a question” link